Monday, May 08, 2006

Catch you on the flip side.

So, here it is . . . my last post from the USA. Wow, I don't even know what to say other than this is totally surreal. I can't believe that this moment has finally come. It's now 9:45 PM Sunday and I am just about eight hours away from flying out of Reagan Intl. Airport headed for New York and then on to Bangkok.

These last few weeks have been really nice. I've had a lot of time to spend with Kristen and Trea -- taking walks, going shopping, to the park, playing in the yard, etc. I can't decide if in the end it will make being away from them harder (I've been around them so much and kind of got used to it) or easier (because I at least got a lot of time in before I left). Either way it's been nice.

For those of you who haven't heard, I now know that I have an allergic reaction to something. I haven't a clue as to what it is but something got me really good. I'd never had hives before this past week and at one point I think I had them covering 2/3 of my body -- very unpleasant to say the least. I did get in to see a doctor on Thursday and he prescribed me some Prednisone (sp?) and it's working miracles. I was imagining having those aweful hives on a 17 hour flight. That would have been hell. Anyway, I'm basically back to normal and ready to go.

This time over I'm going to try anything and everything to see if I can sleep. My last flight to Thailand (May 2002) I think I slept for like two hours (out of 23 or something). It was aweful. I've got a neck pillow, eye mask, ear plugs, and Tylenol PM. I'm gonna look rediculous but my sleep is more important. I just hope it all helps. Also, I don't think I'm going to go to sleep tonight.

The other day I found a trip report from a guy who had taken the same flight that I'm taking (direct from JFK to Bangkok). Here's a picture of the route over the north pole. Just reading the trip report got me excited -- Thai Airways is awesome.

Kristen has been practicing learning the Thai alphabet. In just the past three days or so, she's learned all 44 consonants. I'm really impressed!! I have a lot of fun seeing her learn Thai.

Anyway, I will probably be busy for the next week or two settling in, etc. but after that hopefully I'll have all kinds of fun and interesting stuff to post about. Oh yeah, Kristen found some info the other day that it may be possible for us to get DSL in Khon Kaen for like $25 a month. It all depends on if we have a land line or not. I'm praying!! Posting would be so much easier from home with a fast connection.

So, I'll catch you on the flip side.

2 comments:

Tha Docta said...

Good luck, man! Hopefully you can get that DSL hookup. We could change live night to Saturdays or something. I can't wait to hear about how it is and how you like your job and whatnot. Also, pictures will be good. Have fun on the flight. That is way too long to be on a plane.

Zimm said...

Something tells me that connecting for Live night across the world might now work very well....I couldn't even hear John when he was in Maryland...

Best of luck, hope you get settled in okay.