Saturday, June 03, 2006

Some more pictures

Well, I don't have all that much to say this time. Things are still going okay. My students are about the same -- I want to drop kick them most of the time but ... I refrain. Still loving it. I'm looking forward to getting internet at the house. That will hopefully happen in the next week but I'm not holding my breath. Seems like everything here takes a while to get done.

I found a great new restaurant about a three minute walk from my house. Last night I had a pork steak (they didn't have beef). It was served with a salad, french fries, and a slice of really good bread with really good real butter. Total cost - 40 baht. About a dollar. I was so impressed that I went back tonight and tried their spaghetti which was also very good. I'm also addicted to iced cocoa. It's so freaking good.

I can't wait until Kristen and Trea get here. These last 2 1/2 weeks are going to kill me. The first three went by so fast because everything was so new. Now I'm just counting the minutes until they get here. It's not that I'm bored I just want them to be here and be a part of all this.

Anyway, some more pictures (hopefully, I don't have broken sentences this time). Last time posting the pictures kind of messed everything up. This is called a songtaew. This is the public transportation around town. They've got a couple of different routes that go around town. The different routes have different colors. Fortunately, I have a map that shows where they all go, otherwise I wouldn't have a clue.

Another way of getting around is by tuk-tuk (below). Unfortunately, I don't have a picture of one of these so I copied one from another site. They cost a bit more but are more direct in getting you where you want to go.

Here's a picture that I took on the branch activity. Just a serene little pond. Speaking of the branch, one of the missionaries came up to me on Sunday during choir practice and asked, "Are you ready for a calling?" I asked if he knew what they (the branch presidency) were thinking of calling me to. Hey said, "One of the counselors in the Elders Quorum presidency or maybe the president." Excuse me, I'm doing okay with the learning Thai but I don't speak that well. If I'm the pres. and my teacher doesn't show, I'm supposed to teach. I don't know how that's going to happen. Well, we'll see what happens tomorrow.

I took this picture just because I get a kick out of these brightly colored and often animated (anime) tour buses.

You know what else is awesome; places like McDonalds, KFC, and Pizza Co. (there isn't a Pizza Hut in Khon Kaen) deliver. I haven't yet taken advantage of this but it's nice because getting to these places takes a good 20 min. by songtaew and if I get a hankering for a burger or something else I can call and have it delivered (that is if I can explain what I want and give my address/directions over the phone). Well, that's all for now.

2 comments:

Joel said...

This is great. Keep the pictures coming! It's so fun to see everything. Somethings remind me of Japan (airbrushed van/buses) but so much of it is completely different. It sounds like you're having a great time.

Tha Docta said...

Seriously...loving the updates, so keep it up. I don't have much to say other than that, so I'm gonna call KFC and have them drop off a chicken sangwich. Hopefully they'll take the fast tuk-tuk.