Monday, June 19, 2006

It’s Raining Elephants and Water Buffalo

Yeah, this post is a few days old but I wrote it on the laptop at home and am just now at a place where I can upload it to the blog.

Well, I’m stuck here at home tonight (Saturday) – not that I had plans to do anything but I was going to get a bite to eat – on account of a torrential downpour. This is way beyond cats and dogs – elephants and water buffalo. Anyone who knows me knows that I LOVE thunder and lightning. I used to stay up nights in Houston just watching the lightning and waiting for the thunder. This storm has had a lot of good thunder and lightning but a couple of times I froke out and almost wet myself because the lightning was so dang close.

It’s a good thing that my kitchen is semi-detached from the rest of the house because it leaks like a sieve and it’s pretty much a swimming pool right now. I’m not too happy about that either because I spent the better part of my morning cleaning it. On the bright side, the heaviest leak drains right into the kitchen sink. It’s like someone took a hose draped it over a rafter, pointed it at the sink (which is metal, by the way) and turned it on full blast. It was like that for a half hour straight.

I had a really productive Saturday. I got nearly all of the house clean for Kristen’s arrival on Friday, did the laundry (which I fortunately hung up to dry in the closets because had I put it outside to dry it would be soaked right now), got a haircut, and bought some food for tomorrow. I may end up eating it tonight though. It’s funny, this morning I was sweeping the patio out front and the neighbor was so impressed that I was cleaning. I can’t figure out if it’s because I’m a Farang (the Thai equivalent of gringo or howlie) or because I’m a man. I get the impression that her husband doesn’t do much around the house but that’s actually pretty normal for Thailand. Then, when I was bringing the laundry in the lady across the street was impressed that I did that myself. Man, if only they could see what I can do with a broom and a mop!! Speaking of cleaning: they have a bathroom cleaner here that is way better than anything I’ve seen in the states and it’s made by SE Johnson (how ironic is that). I wonder if they can’t make anything like it in the states because of safety regulations and such. I couldn’t read the label but I could tell it was dangerous if swallowed and corrosive (symbols). It works amazing but I was afraid to get too close because I thought it might melt my hand or something.

Yesterday I had the pleasure of going to Udorn Thani (about an hour north) to get my visa extended for a year. It was a nice drive and I’m glad everything went smooth. I’ve heard horror stories about that place – just think of how pleasant the DMV is every time you go there. It’s kind of like that. I’m just glad the school has someone go with you who knows the routine and can speak the language. I can’t even imagine going there by myself.

Well, right now Kristen is in Utah for her sister’s wedding. I guess she’s probably awake and doing her hair or something to get ready. I can’t remember exactly what time the wedding is at. We talk almost every night but since she left for Utah she hasn’t called. I assume she’s pretty busy. In fact, I think she told me not to expect any calls until after the wedding. I’m so happy that the week has finally arrived. Everyone here has been asking when she’s going to come. I fly down to Bangkok on Wed. evening and then pick Kristen and Trea up at the airport on Thursday morning. We fly back to Khon Kaen on Friday afternoon. Saturday and Sunday we are attending a regional conference of the church in Mahasarakham (about a half hour to an hour east). The church is also celebrating 40 years in Thailand so they’re having some festivities for that on Saturday. I’m actually singing with the branch choir (in Thai) which is quite fun. Kristen will take Trea to the nursery on Monday and Tuesday and start work on Wednesday (the 28th). So, as you can see, things are going to be really busy. I’m so excited for them to share this experience with me. It’s been great so far but the missing pieces will be put into place.

-- Monday:

I got a couple of leaks fixed today in the upstairs bathroom. Nothing a whole lot of plumbers tape couldn't fix. The landlord called and had someone come and fix them. He just wrapped a ton of plumbing tape and reconnected everything. There's no such thing as upkeep here. Things just break down and are put together "with duct tape" so to speak. I'm sure the leaks will most likely return as he just kind of put a patch on a larger problem but whatever.

5 comments:

Joel said...

I'm going to start calling you Farang. In fact, I think you should change your posting name.

Glad Kristen will be out with you soon, that's gotta be crappy. And about that rain: is it the rainy season there or is that later still? It sounds like it could be interesting. Keep up the posting!

sleep deprived said...

I'd love to see what you can do with a broom and a mop, too!

AtomicU2 said...

Ouch, that hurts! Yeah, it's the rainy season, started a month ago but decided to show up late this year. We had another deluge this morning (Tue.).

Zimm said...

Zinger!

Joel said...

Hello?