Wednesday, November 02, 2005

It's coming

For those of you wondering about the concert review: it is coming. I actually started it tonight and then saved it as a draft and now I can't find it on blogger and am too lazy to start again. Hopefully it just takes a while to show up and I can finish it later.

In the mean time I have an ethical question for anyone willing to answer. I am wondering not what I should do but what you would do were you in my situation. Now, let me give you the situation: At my current job (see previous posts) there are five other temps who started at the same time that I did. We are VERY loosely managed by supervisors from the company. Anyway, some of the other temps aren't coming in for a full day but are putting a full day on their time cards (surprisingly nobody seems to notice). On the one hand, I know that the company is losing a lot of money by paying these people for a full day when they're only working for a couple of hours (not that I have work to do all day but at least I'm there) but I also realize that if I say anything that all of the temps will know that it was I who said something since I'm the only one not taking advantage of this -- not so great with co-worker relations. On the other hand, it's kind of annoying to get up every morning and try hard to be on time, be the first one in, the last to leave, and doing a lot more work but getting paid the same that everyone else is. I realize that I could "join 'em" but I'm not going to. Anyway, what would you do? If you don't mind my asking.

9 comments:

Zimm said...

That sucks, man...this is just me, but I'd hate to rat them out, just because it would probably make the job more miserable for you than it sounds like it already is. Just mind your own, and take care of yourself. They'll get their comeuppance, whether now or later.

On the other hand, if their laziness is forcing you to have to do more work or work harder, that's a different situation. Seeing as how it's a temp job, you're probably not looking at a long term commitment anyway. I'd just do my time and go to Thailand and foggedaboudit.

Zimm said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Zimm said...

i double posted it. oops.

Joel said...

That's a tough one. For a contrasting opinion to what Zimm said: My question is what makes you feel like these people need to like you? It's a temp job, not a long term commitment, and they're screwing you over by their actions. I don't think you have any obligation to protect them from their own bad choices. You could even approach the company in such a way as to not say what the problem is while letting them know that there's a problem. (How to do that, I don't know.)

I don't know what I'd do, but I hate it others take advantage of me and then want me to smooth things over for them.

Tha Docta said...

Yeah, that definitely presents a quandry. I'd probably just go about my business and not worry about it. Of course, I've always been a "path of least resistance" kind of guy when it comes to that. Now, coming from a management perspective (since I'm in management), I'd like it if someone told me. But I'd understand if they didn't. Isn't there some way that the bosses would find this sort of thing out? Do they ever see you guys in the office and check the time cards? If they don't give you anything to do, and then don't make sure you're there, they kind of deserve to lose money if you ask me. Not to say I wouldn't fire the crap out of those people if I found out; I'm just sayin'.

Zimm said...

Are you really getting screwed by their actions?

That was my point. Like Joel said, if you're having to do more work than your share, etc, then say something, covertly if possible.

If not, and you're only going to be there for another couple of months, then is it worth the headache it could cause you?

I guess we'd need to understand what it is exactly that you guys do. Right now, I am picturing like 5 guys and you showing up in an empty room, sitting around for most of the day, and then leaving...except everyone else gets to work late and leaves early.

Do you have to pick up their slack?

AtomicU2 said...

Thanks for the feedback. I've always kind of been like Shawn --"path of least resistance" but wish I wasn't. I guess to some extent I have to pick up their slack but not a whole lot. Some of them are working on completely different projects than I but two of them are assigned the same thing as me. If they're there we get everything done in two hours and sit for six. If they leave then it may take 3-4 hours to finish everything. But it's not like I'm rushing to finish everything. I still sit for half the day.

AtomicU2 said...

Well, hopefully the problem will be resolved tomorrow. We have a "meeting" at 11:00 and it looks like the timesheet is going to be one of the major issues. I'm hoping, but the way things get done at this place I'm not going to hold my breath.

Zimm said...

Good luck with that, then. Keep us posted.