Wednesday, February 08, 2006

Super Vomit into the Super Bowl

Doesn't that title just sound gross? I hope so. I know the Superbowl is two days gone but I'm still ticked about it so I'm going to vent my frustrations via this post. My problem is that once I decide to root for a team (even if I'm not really affiliated with that team) I really get into it. I was, as you may have picked up, rooting for Seattle. I lived there for two years, know a lot of people there that doubtless rooted for Seattle, and I have zero ties to Pittsburgh (other than attending a U2 concert there in October of last year) so it was the obvious choice. Besides, I'm kind of an NFC guy. I always root for the NFC contender in the Superbowl unless it's the Cowboys.

Anyway, back to the game. Halfway through the first quarter I was already having some serious issues with / doubts about the officiating in the game. There were just some really bad calls. I'm sure there are plenty of articles out there about how bad the officiating was but I've only read this one but I thought it was right on target. The author, Kevin Hench, had actually picked the Steelers to win but in his article points out that they weren't the best team on the field. Which is exactly what I'm so upset about. The Seahawks, overall, looked a lot better than the Steelers. I will admit that the Seahawks did make some huge errors but the poor officiating can take a team right out of things in a hurry. It seemed to me that the Steelers won an entire football game with about five or six plays.

Seattle deserved to win this game.

Anyway, I'm still baffled by this but can't even coherantly put together a good post so I'll just stop here.

4 comments:

Zimm said...

"I always root for the NFC contender in the Superbowl unless it's the Cowboys."

Awesome.

Joel said...

Oh, get off it Super Bowl whiners. I'm not a huge Pittsburgh fan, but they deserved to win. Just because the refs made tough calls doesn't mean they made the wrong ones. Watch the tape--Chris Hope did push off the defender: offensive pass intereference. I admit the Rothlisburgherlkasdfjasdf touchdown call was iffy, but once the call is made, there has to be incontrovertible evidence that it was wrong for the call to be overturned. There wasn't. And just because John Madden disagrees, doesn't mean he's right. He's a commentator, and frankly, a jackass.

Plus, the Seahawks' clock management was horrible at the end of BOTH halfs. The game wasn't great, and both teams didn't play their best team ever, but the team with the best score won, and guess what? It was the Steelers. The Seahawks were nowhere near dominant enough for me to agree the game was given away. They lost. Move on.

PS, I still think you're super, though, Johnny.

Zimm said...

I was rooting for the Steelers...J. Bettis is a Michigander!

I just love the fact that all of my friends hate the Cowboys.

Joel said...

That post sounded way more bitter than I actually meant it.