Tuesday, January 24, 2006

Yes, I Love Technology -- Always and Forever

I'm back. I guess the news around here is that we are indeed going to Thailand and almost had tickets bought but are reconsidering our timing. The plan was for me to head over the beginning of May, hopefully find a job and a place to live and kind of get things set up so that when Kristen and Chantrea came over (in mid-June) they could move right in. Kristen's younger sister is getting married on June 17th so she wants to stay for that for sure. Anyway, as I said we were all ready to go ahead with these plans when last night I realized that I don't know how well I'll do being apart for six weeks. I think I'd lose it so we're rethinking the timing. Maybe we'll all just stay and go to the wedding.

In other news Kristen and I just purchased an MP3 player. It was actually part of our Christmas but we just hadn't gotten around to it until now. We went all out and got the newest thing. Actually that was mostly me. I put in a bunch of my personal money so we could get the one that I wanted. Kristen just wanted something pretty basic. I wanted all the bells and whistles. We ended up getting the Creative Zen Vision: M. This thing won best in show at the 2006 Consumer Electronics Show. It's basically a competitor to Apple's iPod video. It's got 30GB and plays video (divx, mpeg 1 and 4, and xvid), audio (obviously), has a microphone, FM radio, and can display pictures. I've only had it for about a week but it is awesome! I guess I don't need to go on about it forever though.

This past Wednesday Kristen and I went on our first date in forever. Funny how once you have kids it's really hard to get away. We just went out to eat and window shopping for a bit but it was really nice to have some alone time. And eating out is always nice.

Saturday I went in to get a Maryland drivers license now that we've been here for four months. Actually the only reason I'm getting it is because my Utah license expires in March and also our insurance expires and we need to get new insurance and that requires us to get the car registered in Maryland. I HATE government operations. Needless to say, I still don't have the license and I have to go back again. Such a pain.

Yeah, I'll end on that note.

8 comments:

Zimm said...

Sweet Fancy Moses, tell me you didn't buy the lime green one....

Joel said...

Out of curiosity, what made you choose that over the iPod video? The price, unless I'm mistaken, is about the same, right? I'm not in the market (we just got an iPod shuffle, and I love it) but I'm wondering what pushed you over the edge for that choice.

Also, good luck with Thailand and everything. Crazy stuff.

Tha Docta said...

I need an mp3 player. I'm so behind the times now.

Zimm said...

I bought an mp3 player in the summer and now i feel like i need a new one. Of course I don't, but whatever.

AtomicU2 said...

No, I bought the black one. You're right Joel - price is about the same but you get more options with formatting (divx, xvid, mpeg)-- I can get stuff from places other than apple. Some other bonuses - the microphone, FM radio. The ipod screen has around 60,000 colors while the Vision: M screen has something like 240,000. Also, from the reviews I read, the ipod (on video mode) runs out of battery after two hours and this is supposed to last for four (on video mode). Just a few of the reasons I chose this instead.

AtomicU2 said...

You know, if we weren't going to Thailand I don't know if we would have purchased an MP3 player but in an effort to consolidate as much as possible we did.

Joel said...

Cool. Like I said, I didn't want to sound like "What'd you do?" Just curious. Eventually, I'd like a nice fancy mp3 player.

Zimm said...

That's awesome...I didn't even realize what an incredibly great idea that was considering you're going to Thailand. Great thinking!

Yeah...The iPod, though it has amazing design and functionality (I played with one for the first time a while ago...that scroll wheel is awesome!), is almost as guilty as Microsoft is with trying to force people into using specific formats.

Good choice!